Starting on April 15, the Alberta government will match donations “dollar for dollar” to charities that are responding to the pandemic, up to $2 million province-wide.
“Alberta’s charities and non-profits and the gift of those who donate is an integral part of what makes us Albertan,” Leela Aheer, Minister of Culture, Multiculturalism and Status of Woman, said in a news release.
“These incredible organizations are struggling to fill gaps created by the increased and changing demand for services created by the COVID-19 pandemic,” she said.
Several organizations have established COVID-19 fundraising campaigns. Any donations to the below charities by May 31 will be matched by the province:
- United Way of the Capital Region – Local Love in a Global Crisis Campaign
- United Way Calgary and Area – COVID-19 Community Response Fund
- Calgary Foundation – COVID-19 Pandemic Recovery Program
- Edmonton Community Foundation – COVID Rapid Response Fund
- Community Foundation of Southeastern Alberta – COVID Response for Southeast Alberta
- Community Foundation of Lethbridge and Southwestern Alberta – COVID Response and Recovery Grants Program
- Community Foundation of Northwestern Alberta – Better Together COVID-19 Response Fund/Community Kitchen and Food Bank Fund
The programs above will play a supporting role in flowing the donations through to local non-profits, the press release said.
The organizations will waive any administration fees associated with campaign donations for the dollar-for-dollar program.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.