Emergency crews say they aren’t certain they can salvage a northeast Calgary Dairy Queen that went up in flames on Tuesday.
The Calgary Fire Department responded to smoke and flames emerging from the fast-food restaurant’s roof, located in the 1900 block of Centre Street N.E., after 5:30 p.m.
There were no injuries reported, and staff and customers made it out safely before CFD crews arrived.
Upon arrival, firefighters immediately called a second alarm because of the size of the fire.
“At different times, fire will flare up based on those materials that are still at the point where they’re either igniting or burning,” said Battalion Chief Bruce Barrs as the building was still smoldering around 7:40 p.m.
“It is a stubborn fire. Some fires such as this tend to be and we have to approach them as safely as possible.”
— Michael King (@MKingGlobal) October 9, 2019
Police said there was extensive damage to the structure and couldn’t speculate on a cause.
Officers were on scene doing traffic control. In the evening, Centre Street was closed between 17 Avenue and 19 Avenue N.E. as crews worked to put out hot spots.
The CFD said ATCO and ENMAX were called to ensure there were no hazards relating to services.
© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.