When Lincoln was five weeks old, he came down with a cold. After a few days, when he wasn’t getting better, wasn’t eating and started throwing up, his mom, Katelyn took him to the urgent care centre in their town of Okotoks to get checked out. Lincoln’s oxygen levels were low so he was hooked up to a machine to help him breathe. While they didn’t know what was causing his breathing issues, doctors knew he needed help from pediatric experts at the Alberta Children’s Hospital. During the ambulance ride with EMS, Lincoln’s condition improved so he was redirected to the Peter Lougheed, but on the ambulance ride to that hospital, his heart rate jumped to 200 beats a minute and his oxygen dropped. It was clear his body was working in overdrive to try to breathe. As he was getting weaker, doctors decided he needed to be at the Alberta Children’s Hospital after all so they called for the Pediatric Critical Care Transport team to stabilize him and bring him safely there.

In the emergency room, Katelyn was finally able to hold and comfort her baby. But then suddenly, his whole body went limp in her arms, his heart began to race and he turned blue. He looked lifeless. She screamed for a nurse who came running in, took one look at him and hit the red emergency button on the wall before yelling for a crash cart. A team rushed him to the PICU, while Katelyn ran after them. Doctors surrounded Lincoln, hooking him up to various machines to help his breathing. Lincoln was hooked up to so many wires, Katelyn wasn’t allowed to hold him or nurse him, and he could only be fed her milk through feeding tubes. An X-ray found his right lung had collapsed and a test revealed he had Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), which causes infection of the lungs and breathing passages. Doctors told his parents to prepare for the possibility of putting him on life support if he didn’t improve, but thankfully, he started to pull through. And after two days, Katelyn and Jesse were allowed to hold him, and when they did, didn’t let go for hours. They talked to him and told him how much they loved him and how he was in the best place he could possibly be. After a few more days, Katelyn was able to nurse him as he was disconnected from wires and machines and he could breathe and feed on his own. After one week in hospital, he was able to go home.

Katelyn believes if it wasn’t for the dedicated team of doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists monitoring his every breath, Lincoln may not have made it to his first birthday. To celebrate that special milestone, they asked for donations to ACHF in lieu of gifts.

© 2018 Corus Radio, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories